Friday 3 July 2020

Word Search, Monsters & Coloring Oh My!

Wordsearch - For Kids Ages 8-10

Each puzzle is on one page with the words to search, below the grid of letters. Answers are in the back. The themes vary from 'Bakery' to 'Superheroes' with only six words associated with that subject matter. Letters are large and there is enough odd letters in between the words to challenge a child. My soon to be 7yrs old liked this book. She had a little difficulty with longer words but overall, she said (with the searches she completed) it was fun and challenging.

For me, I also liked it but would have liked to see more words to find as you progressed. Although my daughter flipped through and chose particular puzzles, I think increasing the number of words a child needs to find makes it more of a challenge. A lovely book with easy to read puzzles/words as well as it being a great summer activity that can help continue term time learning of  reading, spelling and understanding themes.

How to Draw Monsters

Starting off with a quick lesson on how to use the book, each page allows the artist to create their own type of monster and then color the page in. There is ample opportunity to customize the shape given  - larger eyes, longer talons - so there is room for creativity.

Whilst my daughter isn't one for monsters, she did find it easy to follow the instructions and design her own monster. I also tried drawing my own creature and thought that with practice a child could take their monster out of the book and create their own story or comic book. This book is a great starter for improving drawing skills as well as creating monsters!

Color By Numbers  - For Kids Ages 4-8

Various images from a cat, to trucks to fantasy figures. Behind each picture is a black/blank side to avoid any bleed through from coloring, although if, as in my daughters case, you press super hard with a marker, it will get through - it is only paper after all. I colored in a page also with markers with normal pressure and no color appeared on the next image.

My little girl isn't one for huge amounts of coloring and a lot of the images - trucks, dinosaurs etc., didn't speak to her. It's a shame there wasn't more 'girl' friendly images. All the images are marked with a number and associated colors. It looks a tad odd to have a number printed that had to be colored white so it would have been better if it were just left blank. A good range of images with enough details to be interesting.

Overall, these are three excellent books that will keep your child engaged and busy. They are set out in such a way that its easy to flick through and do what piques their interest. My almost seven years old, enjoyed all of them although she is more partial to the word search. Highly recommended for all.

I received complimentary copies of  Color By Numbers, How to Draw Monsters and Word Search from Activity Wizo. The opinions expressed here are my own and I am not required to give a positive review.

No comments:

Post a Comment