Friday 22 June 2012

My Stubborn Heart - Becky Wade

'Burned out' social worker, Kate Donovan is desperate for some excitement in her life; so when her grandmother asks her to accompany her to Redbud, Pennsylvania to restore the family home that she grew up in, Kate doesn't hesitate to say yes.

Arriving at the battered home, Kate meets the handsome ex-hockey player Matt Jarreau. Hired by her grandmother to renovate the house Kate can't help but be drawn to him. He's obviously hiding something as no-one is that quiet and brooding without good reason.

The slight, pretty young woman sees this opportunity to bring him out of the darkness - even if Matt doesn't want to go there; she wants him to stop hiding from his family, friends and God. As they work together, their relationship suddenly switches gears in to something more. Will Kate finally receive the answers to her prayers or will she have to give up all her dreams?

Wade's characters in this enchanting novel are warm, likable and funny. The author has created such an inviting, realistic, charming story and its chapters flow effortlessly, slowly building the romance between the main characters. The moments of Kate praying and talking to God are honest and adds to the openness as well as the level of detail about restoring the house, antiquing, down even to the clothes that her grandmother and her friends wear.

I loved this story; I found myself several times either smiling or having tears in my eyes just from reading a chapter. Wade has created a moving and utterly romantic story without being mushy. It's not filled with bold moves as such, but real ones. I'm pretty sure that those - christian or not - would find this an inspiring novel. Each character, even the 'seventies brigade' add moments of clarity and insight. If I praised this anymore, I would be gushing! A more than highly recommended read.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Bethany House Publishing. The opinions expressed are my own and I am not required to give a positive review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment